Yes, cognition, learning, sharing, demonstrating knowledge acquired, remembering, writing about it, understanding her place in society, acknowledging likes and dislikes… and being funny!
These are all a reality now.
I, the parent, did not ask for this exercise. She started it by herself. She did not ask me what to write. She’s been surprising me all over again.
I know my daughter but to realize she knows herself is priceless.
How did she achieve this? By exposing her to a variety of experiences. By allowing her to fail. By not allowing autism and its challenges to dictate what will occur at home or in the community.
In less than 2 hrs, she wrote 17 facts about herself.
- Thomais was born in Greece.
- Thomais is a loud farter plus a belcher.
- Thomais can weigh up to 82, 83 or 84 pounds.
- Thomais loves animals of all kind.
- Thomais always wants to go to Scotland to see the Loch Ness Monster.
- Thomais is a good dancer and twerker.
- Thomais loves to sing her favorite songs – Better when I’m dancing; Roar; Stitches; Nothing holding me back; Poker Face; When I’m gone; I can see a rainbow; Bad romance; Diamonds; Waka-Waka
- Thomais is the best prankster.
- Thomais loves to watch videos about the three Cunard Queens – Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth (all cruise ships)
- Thomais loves to talk about the R.M.S. Titanic over and over (headaching to everyone)
- Thomais loves to eat green beans, broccoli, banana, apple, chicken with bone, white rice, macaroni, ice cream, whip cream – with chocolate chips, chocolate chips, M&M’s.
- Thomais hates to eat burger, egg plant, zucchini, meat balls.
- Thomais met Dakota Fakota Fanning in NYC.
- Thomais is Shawn Mendes #1 FAN!!
- Thomais sometimes says ain’t when she’s singing.
- Thomais mom is sometimes so BOSSY!
- Thomais hates homework.
- Thomais really misses her dad.
- Thomais has lots of BFF’s — E, G, L, M and K
- Thomais dad is funny, fund and kind. Her mom is over protective, bossy and sometimes nice.
She’s 10. Presently, the world is all about her.
I keep reminding her others must be included.
This is a great activity for any kid.
It is an opportunity to keep the conversation going and avoid surprises.
More soon. Enjoy!